Keep on Keeping
A monthly feature of “Listening with Heart” blog, sharing wise words, meaningful things read or good things found, to help warm your heart.
These are the most impactful quotes I have read or heard this month that give me pause, or uplift my heart. Wisdom spoken in just a few words. They reflect what I’ve been reading or learning, or what’s been going on in our world.
It’s been another challenging month, and I know we each need some insight and encouragement to keep carrying on. I am happy to share these quotes – that speak to the challenge of creating good relationships, dealing with the unpleasant, truth and integrity, and even a little humor – with you. Take a moment to go through them and maybe highlight a few that speak to you. Enjoy…
- “Always do the right thing even when no one is watching.”– Maui bathroom
- “Listen without judgment. Talk without criticism. Put differences in reverence.” – Harville Hendricks
- “Listening is the price you pay to be heard.”
- “An amazing couple is one where only one person goes crazy at a time!” – Kohut
- “The greatest challenge in life is discovering who you are. The second greatest challenge is being happy with what you find.”
- “President Trump’s inner child is very wounded. He’s always looking for validation. He probably never felt good enough as a child. He needs love, compassion, joy.” – Deepak Chopra
- “The most important thing I learned on retreat is how to find a deep and authentic care for both myself and others.” – teen iBme retreat participant
- “The little things? The little moments? They aren’t little.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “If you can be with the pleasant without chasing after it, with the unpleasant without resisting it, and with the neutral without ignoring it – that is an incredible freedom.” – Rick Hanson
- “This thought doesn’t serve me well. What could I think instead?” – Shari
- “Some people feel intimate when they joke and laugh together. Some feel it sparring with one another in a playful way. Other people feel it much more sensuously, like when they’re taking a bath together or making love. Others feel intimate when walking side by side exploring ideas, talking philosophy or dreaming about future goals.” – Ellyn Bader
- “Patriarchy damages both sexes” – Terry Real
- “This is the essence of straight white privilege: to not have to worry that your neighbors will be violent toward you because of the color of your skin; to not have to assess each neighborhood for signs of racism or homophobia to make sure you and your children will be safe.” –
- “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “Is she someone you find interesting?”:
- “You will spend more time with this person than anyone else for the rest of your life,” Obama said, “and there is nothing more important than always wanting to hear what she has to say about things.”
- “The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Jane Goodall
- “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
- “Everyone is doing the best that they can with the resources they have.” – Hailey Magee
- “You are not here merely to…make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.” – Woodrow Wilson
- “Healing from trauma is about regaining access to those parts of you that shut down in order to cope, and/or the things that trauma took away from you. Sometimes the reclaiming doesn’t work for you, but even the attempt can be empowering.“ “I can’t emphasize enough that “resolving“ trauma is not pretending it never happened, or going back to the way of life you had before the Traumatic incident. Resolving trauma is becoming aware of your coping mechanisms and triggers, and acting from conscious choice rather than automatic reaction’s.” – ‘Reclamation is a Part of Healing’ in Fierce Passions Blog by M’Kali-Hashik
- “The wound is the place where the light enters you.” – Rumi
- “I think over again my small adventures, my fears, those small ones that seemed so big, all those vital things I had to get and to reach, and yet there is only one great thing: to live and see the great day that dawns, and the light that fills the world.” – old Inuit song
Find out what it means to me
Take care, TCB
Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)
A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me) Whoa, babe (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)
I get tired (just a little bit)
Keep on tryin’ (just a little bit)
You’re runnin’ out of fools (just a little bit)
And I ain’t lyin’ (just a little bit)” – Aretha Franklin, Respect
- “Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace.” – Barack Obama
- “Soul: The deep place inside every human that gives us the power to overcome obstacles, care for those in need, and assert ourselves when our minds tell us we don’t have the energy or heart.” – Ted Perry
- “What I know for sure is that you feel real joy in direct proportion to how connected you are to living your truth.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Freedom is not given to us by anyone; we have to cultivate it ourselves. It is a daily practice.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “If I had my life to live over again, I would ask that not a thing be changed, but that my eyes be opened wider.” – Jules Renard
- “When we can sit in the face of insanity or dislike and be free from the need to make it different, then we are free.” – Nelson Mandela
- Walls and Bridges: interesting conversations about race, politics, gender, immigration, extremism, etc. Definitely worth listening to here.
- We all need some fun to lighten our load and lift our spirits. Check out this video of ten hilarious easy and cool party games. These would be great to play with your family too, and believe it or not – are actually mindful practices disguised as fun!
- “I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.” – E.B. White
…So that’s this month’s short list of Heart-Full Moments that has some meaning for me. I hope your month has been graced with compassion and reflection and that you might take a moment of pause to connect with what inspires you and nourishes your soul.
I’d love to hear back from you…what’s inspiring you these days? What’s meaningful that touches you? Just reply to this email.
If you or someone you care about is struggling to find moments of full heartedness, please contact me for a therapy appointment.
For more ideas on how to bring more calm and less worry into your life, click here for a free email course on Mindfulness.