I wish you courage, kindness and light
A monthly feature of “Listening with Heart” blog, sharing wise words, meaningful things read or good things found, to help warm your heart.
These are the most impactful quotes I have read or heard this month that give me pause or uplift my heart. Wisdom spoken in just a few words. They reflect what I’ve been reading or learning, or values I share, or what’s been going on in our world.
It’s been another very challenging month, and I know we each need some insight and encouragement to keep carrying on. I am happy to share these quotes – that speak to coping with darkness; honoring the light outdoors, and the light within; values and life codes; and a holiday wish – with you. Take a moment to go through them and maybe highlight a few that speak to you. Enjoy…
- “Although coming forward was terrifying, and caused disruption to our lives, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to fulfill my civic duty. Having done so, I am in awe of the many women and men who have written me to share similar life experiences and now have bravely shared their experience with friends and family, many for the first time. I send you my heartfelt love and support.” – Christine Blasey Ford
- “What shall I do? How will I do it? I want to win but not at the expense of justice, not at the expense of the dignity of any man — not at the expense of hurting a friend nor teaching my children a prejudice which I do not feel.”- George H.W. Bush
- “Words I like: family, loyalty, kids, freedom, grandkids, caring, love, heart, decency, faith, honor, service to country, pride, fair (fair play), strength, hope, healing, kindness, excellence.” – George H.W. Bush
- “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
- “What I learned from Bernie Glassman was a willingness to stay in the room when the going got tough and to take loving action.” – Frank Ostaseski
- “Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light.” – Dr. Albert Schweitzer
- “Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “His life code was: ‘Tell the truth. Don’t blame people. Be strong. Do your best. Try hard. Forgive. Stay the course,’ ” – Jon Meacham
- “We’re a nation hungry for more joy: Because we’re starving from a lack of gratitude.” – Brene Brown
- “I love golden white lights and seeing them in various locations has become my purposeful pause. They remind me to consider that what is called for now may be the commitment to and the choice of leading with light – each soft smile, or act of generosity, no matter how small, creating ripples of light to guide our way.” – Dawn MacDonald
- “Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.” – Frida Kahlo
- “I now see that meditation is simply exercise for the mind, similar to the way we exercise our muscles when we play sports. For me, it has nothing to do with faith or mysticism. It’s about taking a few minutes out of my day, learning how to pay attention to the thoughts in my head, and gaining a little bit of distance from them.” – Bill Gates
- “The paradox is that living a full human life is not about getting it all together but embracing that not-together-ness in a loving awareness that is larger than it all.” – Melli O’Brien
- If we knew just how powerfully our thoughts, words, and actions affected the hearts of those around us, we’d reach out and join hands again and again.” – Tara Brach
- “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” – OG Mandino
- “Practice gratitude for the balance of dark and light.
- While standing outdoors, breathe in the cold winter air. Hold your left palm upward, look at it and say, ‘I give thanks for the cold, dark, and restful days of winter.’ Then hold your right palm upward and say, ‘I give thanks for the forthcoming summer and the person I am becoming.’ Then bring your palms together in prayer position. Raise them to your third eye saying, ‘I honor the varied rhythms of Mother Nature.’ Bring your pressed together palms to heart center saying, ‘I honor the dark and light inside of myself.’ Then bow in gratitude.” – Ashley Hitchcock
- “This is my holiday wish for you: deep peace in your heart and soul, self-compassion, joy and laughter throughout the year, play!, optimal health for you and your loved ones, prosperity and abundance, energy to follow your heart to the corners of the world, and gratitude for all you have and for all you do!” – Alexandra Katehakis
So that’s this month’s short list of Heart-Full Moments that holds some meaning for me. I hope your month has been graced with compassion and reflection and that you might take a moment of pause to connect with what inspires you and replenishes your soul.
I’d love to hear back from you…How are you coping with darkness, and managing light in your life? What are your wishes for the new year? Just reply to this email.
Many blessings and an abundance of peace and joy to you and your community, as you wind down this year.
If you or someone you care about is struggling to find moments of full-heartedness, please contact me for a therapy appointment.
For more ideas on how to bring more calm and less worry into your life, click here for a free email course on Mindfulness.