Wishing you possibility and freedom
A monthly feature of “Listening with Heart” blog, sharing wise words, meaningful things read or good things found, to help warm your heart.
These are the most impactful quotes I have read or heard this month that give me pause, or uplift my heart. Wisdom spoken in just a few words. They reflect what I’ve been reading or learning, or values I share, or what’s been going on in our world.
It’s been another very challenging month, and I know we each need some insight and encouragement to keep carrying on. I am happy to share these quotes – that speak to starting something new, searching for how to be good, creativity, freedom, possibility, being good and being beautiful – with you. Take a moment to go through them and maybe highlight a few that speak to you. Enjoy…
- “This time of year often brings out the best in people, but the unspoken shadow of Christmas is that much of the consuming prevalent at this time is unsatisfactory. It satiates at one level but completely misses at a deeper level. It’s care that matters, not things.” – Soren
- “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members, a heart of grace, and a soul generated by love.” – Coretta Scott King
- “And suddenly you know: It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” – Meister Eckhart
- According to this inspirational footage that was released by Google earlier this month, the most popular internet searches of 2018 were about “good” things and how we can be better people. Heartwarming Data Reveals the Most Popular Google Searches Were About How We Can Be Good
- “Thinking that other people are supposed to do or be anything other than what they are is like thinking that tree over there should be the sky. I investigated that and found freedom.“ – Byron Katie
- “The same pain that can blemish our personality can act as a creative force, burnishing it into an object of delight.” – Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan
- “Let tomorrow find you better than today.” – Simone Biles’ Grandfather ~ “This is the time of year when we dwell in possibility.” – Emily Dickinson ~ “Grow whole, not old.” – Chip Conley
- We talked a lot about this thing called liminality, being in an in between space. The analogy was often about being a chrysalis, that form between a caterpillar and a butterfly, when you feel like you’re goo. Gradually, the chrysalis opens up and its wings dry and it’s a new being. But the point was to embrace this stage at midlife, when you’re in transition, and to say, ‘OK, I’m a mess right now. I’m goo.” – Kari Henley
- “I swear I will not dishonor my soul with hatred, but offer myself humbly as a guardian of nature, as a healer of misery, as a messenger of wonder, as an architect of peace.” – Diane Ackerman
- “Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense regardless of how it turns out.” – Vaclav Havel
- “I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver.” – Maya Angelou
- “We are tied together in the single garment of destiny, caught in an inescapable network of mutuality. And whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “When it’s over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement. I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.” – Mary Oliver
- “If we give happiness to others we will end up happy.” – lemon ginger yogi tea bag tag
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others, you need to accept yourself.” -Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Music is the Anti-Wall” – DJ Spooky
- “It is true that we are called to create a better world. But we are first of all called to a more immediate and exalted task: that of creating our own lives.” – Thomas Merton
- “When you’re sad, breathe.
When you’re angry, breathe.
When Joy swims through your veins like goldfish, Breathe.
When your heart is cracking, splitting and breaking – breathe.
Whatever is happening right now, no matter how painful – don’t run away. Face it. Stay. Breathe through it.“ – Sarah L. Harvey
- “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
- “Until we take the time to face the faulty thought patterns we may be holding onto, we cannot loosen their grip on us, and we will continue to act on what we assume to be true. The best way to undo our conditioning is to still the mind.” – Paul Singleton III
- “And we can ask ourselves this: Knowing that death is inevitable, what is most precious today?” – Roshi Joan Halifax
If you or someone you care about is struggling to find moments of full-heartedness, please contact me for a therapy appointment.
For more ideas on how to bring more calm and less worry into your life, click here for a free email course on Mindfulness.